3 May - flight to Gay Paree

I decided to watch a movie to help pass the time but unfortunately, in the middle of it the plane passed right over Sydney and I hadn’t noticed I was over Australia until I looked out the window and saw all the red stuff between Sydney and Perth. I wished I had noticed earlier, as I would have waved to Annie, because even though she would be at work she would know I would be waving and say ‘excuse me, I have to go outside and wave at that plane up there because my mum is on board’. It’s very dry down there and someone needs to know. There are no rivers, just dark patches from floating bits of cloud wafting past. I have no idea how the lizards eke out an existence in all that heat. So glad I came back as a person this time and not a lizard again. Maybe I met my demise in the Australia desert.
I tried out Athena’s blow up pillow that she gave me for Christmas but it smells like my old hockey stick handle – all rubbery. It isn’t really comfy either (sorry Athena) because it makes my head stick out in front of the seat as if it’s on a stick, which is neither comfortable nor attractive.
From the air, I could see a long long line – very straight - maybe it was a rabbit proof fence. It ran in a north west direction but seemed to go through some dams though I couldn't see if they were dry or full of muddy water – they looked very brown from the air. My brother in law, Sanatan, is an Australian, and he paints in brown and red, even though you can buy other colours in Australia. My sister is a New Zealander (surprise surprise), and she paints a lot of stuff in greens and blues. Funny that. If I didn’t know better I might guess that it means that whatever we grow up with is good and beautiful, but I could be wrong. I was wrong before – it was in 1973 – you might have seen it in the papers. Some of the sand (at least that’s what it looks like from here) has all blown into ridges and the patterns are the same as the ones you get in snow. But I do see a river. Brown and slow looking thing, like a garden worm.
I had a good time on the way to Singapore, eating and playing with my laptop. I watched Slumdog Millionaire, which I can recommend, and another one, which I can’t remember so I guess I won’t recommend that one. I changed in Singapore (planes, not personalities, sorry...) to a German plane, and I regret to advise it was an unimpressive change. I know my friend Micha may read this (unless I hide the URL from him) and he’s German, but I can’t lie about it, it’s too important. I didn’t get a personal entertainment centre again (refer to previous similar devastating experience, UK blog 2008), nor was there much to do as everyone else seemed to be asleep, so I gave in, closed the windows (it was dark, anyway) and dozed for about 8 – 10 hours. At one stage I had to ask for a cup of tea – many airlines get their staff to potter up and down the aisles offering hot and cold drinks every hour or so, but it seems the Germans were too busy to do this. I now see how important it is to smile at customers, even when they re irritating. When I asked for a hot drink the steward was rather put out. Actually being forced to sleep this turned out to be helpful later, because my next day was very taxing.

That's it for the 3rd of May..... no photos sorry....

No comments: