1 May 2009 - Titirangi to Otaki

I started my travels west on Friday evening, 1st May. I will provide a blow by blow description of the event, mostly so my sister has something to read after she has finished reading the her favouriite Leunig book again. However, the three minutes warning has just come up as I am doing this in Singapore airport over the sound of a grisly documentary about the Khmer Rouge. And now, because I had to move the three minutes warning, I have only two minutes left (I also stopped to scratch my left ear). So you will have to wait. Bye.....

Ooops - here I am again. I need to catch up otherwise you won't know why I am in Singapore. Let me tell you about the journey to the airport in Auckland. Because I had been a part-time travel agent for the entire week prior to travelling, I had booked a car park. I felt sooo organised. The parking was incredibly entertaining as you can image - lots of cars and parks and stuff....(yawn) - I'll kind of whip through the local stuff eh, and on to the foreign stuff like arriving in Wellington.

Actually a disadvantage of living in Auckland is that you forget that most of New Zealand isn't quite as warm as Auckland, and Wellington definitely fell into the territory of places that are not particuarly warm in the late evening. Cold really. About 9 degrees. I had panicked so much about Ryan Air's grim warning of having only 15 kg or I would thrown into the Irish sea, I packed a jersey only at the last minute. After all my packing, I managed to leave home with just 23 kg including a fresh apple in my handbag. We turned on Colette, the GPS system, and I switched her ovpr to English, as there seemed little point in getting confused in Wellington late at night. She didn't know where Peter Quinn lived, because I looked for his house in Otaki instead of Te Horo, but she got us out of Wellington very well. I suppose we could have followed the signs, but Colette does a good job, so we like to give her an outing instead of just running back and forth between New Lynn and home.

No comments: