2nd May, London

I woke early, being still on New Zealand time, so walked around the local area before breakfast, checking out Sainsbury’s and taking photos of unusual sights, such as the sign that said ‘No Parking, by order of St John the Divine’. I was impressed that the local people had secured such an important saint’s favour. This little excursion later turned out to be a life-saver, as I was able to recognise the place to get off my bus. The trains weren’t coming to Kew today, it being a holiday and an opportunity for British Rail to dig up the tracks.

I wandered around London most of the day and wore myself and my poor feet out. I started at Covent Garden, walked all around the Fleet Street area, then headed East to the Tower. Most of the voices I heard were German or French, which presented problems when asking directions to places of relief, as I was not sure whether to ask for a toilet, a toilette, or des toiletten. I had a good look around the tower, checked out the family jewells and the torture equipment, then headed further East looking for an underground and a train home. By 6pm I was in a housing estate in Wapping, where I definitely felt out of place so I headed back to the Tower, where I felt much safer, and found a train home.

I was exhausted when I got back, and it was very late but still light. Luckily Anna and Kieran were tolerant hosts and offered me wine as soon as I arrived, with pita bread and hummus. Kieran cooked a very garlicky pasta dish which gave me a great deal of pleasure and memories the following day. However, he also poisoned me by pouring me as much wine as I wanted, and lost my favour by not wearing the black and silver fern cap I bought him in Auckland for $2. I didn’t feel the best the next day but the garlic was a comfort.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brother Russell said:

Not sure about this comments section. The blog is pretty good but certainly not as good as my wifes Jane or is that my wife Janes or perhaps both should be singular but I have been married previously so I know there should be a plural in there somewhere.
This silly blog "comments" page said that I have the wrong name and
should change it. It then came up with a silly word verification and
typed out the word ytipep all on a stupid slant.
Dear sister Jillie, (or Blister Sillie as she is sometimes known) what should I do.
Please help. Maybe you should chat with your in-house shrink. I am
sure you can get a cut rate.

BUGGER, its now changed my name to havuyl. Is that a relation to
howdyuyl? Perhaps this system was invented by an American